Fascinating things coming to light these last couple of days, bits and pieces but all leading up to the beginnings of the understanding of the web that was woven by Saddam.
Gateway Pundit gives us the Russian Ambassador's letter that told where US Forces were and what the overall battle plan was. The fun thing was that the Ambassador was getting oil to sell through the Oil for Food program! Isn't that just lovely? Do you think... perhaps... it was... ALL ABOUT OIL? Where is the left when you need them? And just how did the Ambassador get such information... from the Russian military, mayhap? Exactly *why* are we to trust them?
Ray Robison gives us the entire rundown of the equipment list that was given in the above document.
- And then Mr. Robison brings to light a document showing that Russian scientists hid during a suprise UN inspection!! Why, whatever would they hide from the IAEA for? Link to the globalsecurity.org look at the site they were at.
- Then there is the document of how Iraqis were to scrub facilities of any evidence of WMD use. So in case of a suprise UN inspection, stall the inspectors and get busy! Which is *exactly* what happened time and time again during the 1990's. Something to hide?
- Iraqi Intelligence and Osama bin Laden meet in 1995. Document in translation, due out soon.
- And here is a document directly linking Saddam, WMD and terrorists.
- Saddam agreed to Kurdistan? WTF? It does make sense: cut of from Iraq he could make the grand gesture of releasing the Kurds and then make the case to remove sanctions. The West would have had a hard time standing up to that. Then once he started his WMDs back up he could invade Kurdistan and clean it out thoroughly.... *if* the US had not recognized it immediately and started supplying and protecting it. A big, big, big gamble.
Jeff Goldstein and Protein Wisdom is looking at some of the released material and doing some dot connecting.
[Apologies to Mr. Robison on mis-spelling his name! grrrr... bad typist... oh...]